The Changing Lives campaign
St Marylebone Parish Church has been changing lives for over 900 years. Read more on our website here.
The Changing Lives £8 million fundraising campaign has been launched to generate urgent funds to:
- ensure the building can remain open
- enable us to share the important story of Marylebone and its residents
- grow our work with the community
We believe this is the largest and most significant community project currently taking place in Central London.
The parish church is not only an extraordinary building which needs preserving but a vital resource helping vulnerable people, creating a crucial sense of place and belonging for so many.
A grant of £2.965 million from the National Lottery Heritage Fund shows just how important and significant this project is.
The campaign’s success depends on your support to raise the funds we urgently need. This is your unique opportunity to make a tangible contribution to this project.
WHAT WILL THE PARISH CHURCH LOOK LIKE IN JULY 2022?
- · A new Welsh slate roof
- · Newly designed entrance and improved access
- · A new lift and staircase to the Crypt
- · A redeveloped Crypt Hall community space
- · Films and displays for visitors to learn about St Marylebone’s heritage
- · A vibrant programme of free activities and events for all ages
- · New walks and trails around St Marylebone
- · Fit for purpose spaces to support groups including the elderly, visually impaired, lonely and those living with dementia
- · Recruitment of over 250 people as volunteers, apprentices, and new staff members
- · Redesigned spaces for our NHS partners
- · More environmentally friendly with a low carbon footprint
- · Self-sustaining with an endowment for the future!
HOW YOU CAN HELP
To achieve our target of raising the final £4 million to ensure the project’s success, we need your help.
We would be delighted to accept one-off gifts, regular monthly or annual gifts, and gifts in the form of shares or legacy bequests.
The Rector writes here about how to get involved in Changing Lives this Christmas!
St Marylebone: Changing Lives secures National Lottery Support
It was announced on Monday 24th June 2019 that St Marylebone Parish Church in central London has received a National Lottery Heritage Fund grant of £2.965m as part of an £8.6m project. The grant will help St Marylebone to replace its failed Georgian roof and undertake conservation repairs and access improvements which will not only preserve the building but ensure that the parish church continues to change lives after more than 900 years of place naming and place making. The grant has been made possible by money raised by National Lottery players and it is hoped that the project will be completed by 2022.
The Rector of St Marylebone, the Revd Canon Dr Stephen Evans, writes, “I am delighted that the National Lottery Heritage Fund will help us to restore our buildings so that we can continue our work of changing lives through building and shaping community, combatting loneliness and isolation in a great world city, working with people living with dementia and visual impairment, offering low-cost and no-cost psychotherapy and resourcing students and young people. The award of £2.965 million will, I hope, help us to attract other funders not least from within the St Marylebone community,”
The Rt Revd and Rt Revd Dame Sarah Mullally, DBE, PC, Bishop of London
The Hon Tristram Hunt